Tips to Get You Moving House By Christmas
Want to ring in the new year in your dream new home? If so, you need to get organised now! This article offers some simple tips for how to get you moved in time for the festivities.
This article at a glance
- How to get your current property ready to sell – fast!
- Get packing sooner than you think – and sort out a capsule wardrobe
- Plan for your pets
- Research removal companies carefully
Get your house ready to sell
If you’ve got a house you need to sell in a hurry, taking a few measures to make it more appealing can make all the difference, and get those offers flooding in.
Start by depersonalising your house, this includes packing up your personal photographs, family heirlooms, and other objects and clutter that might distract potential buyers and could damage a possible sale. You want to present buyers with an impersonal, clean environment so they can imagine the home with their own photographs, furniture, and art objects.
Decluttering is a must too. People tend to collect an amazing quantity of items over time. Especially for clothes, if you haven’t used them in over a year, you probably don’t need them.
Make any minor repairs too – as leaving them might insinuate that there are larger problems to be found. Replace or fix any cracked tiles and make sure all lights are working properly, as chances are potential buyers will be switching the lights on when looking around thoroughly – and especially as the nights start drawing in.
- Make your house shine – even if this means getting in a professional cleaning crew. This can seem like an additional expense, but can make an enormous difference to how potential buyers feel about your home
- Check out your curb appeal – a potential sale can be lost quickly if a buyer doesn’t even want to get out their car, because the exterior of your home turns them off
- Be objective – go into each room of your home and try and view it as a potential buyer would. Take note of how the furniture is arranged, and try some simple rearrangements to see if you can improve on visual appeal
Get Packing and Create a Capsule Wardrobe
This is a really useful tip and should be done for every member of the family. A capsule wardrobe is a carefully curated selection of clothing and accessories that are streamlined and easy to create outfits using.
Instead of keeping your entire wardrobe unpacked, only keep 10-20 pieces of clothing – covering all likely weather scenarios. You can just rotate between these pieces and pack away the rest. And while you’re at it, if there’s anything you don’t want to keep, moving is the ideal time for a clear out, do this now and you’ll be leaving yourself time to sell, donate or give things away.
- Begin taking items to charity that you no longer want or need
- Get some plastic under-the-bed storage boxes, these are great for storing clothes seamlessly away when you’re not yet ready to have boxes everywhere!
- Start boxing up summer clothes that you won’t need between now and your move
Plan for your pets
Pets can get frightened and confused in the lead up to a move, and especially on the day itself. Consider sending them to a relative or friend for a few days, until the house is in order. And cats will need keeping in for a few weeks so that they don’t try and run back to their old house, or simply get lost.
- Ask friends / relatives who you’d trust with your pets whether they’d be happy to have them when you move
- Start reading up on the best ways to make the transition as easy as possible for your furry friends – you’ll find lots of expert help online, for instance, Bluecross have helpful practical tips for moving with a dog
Research removal companies carefully
Moving house without the help of a removal company might save you money, but it will almost certainly cost you more on the stress front. If you decide to do the packing yourself (most removal companies offer packing up as an additional service), it’s best to start at least two weeks before your moving date to start boxing up.
Write the contents and room on each box, as this will help organise your unpacking the other end easier. A reputable removals company will be able to supply you with purpose-built boxes and packing materials, and offer various packing options to suit you too.
- Start researching removals companies in your area – asking a local social media group online can be a fast way to get recommendations
- Also, ask friends / family who’ve moved in the last year or two if they have a company they’d recommend
- There’s no harm in getting quotes as early as possible – a good removals company will do these for free with no obligation
I want to get a mortgage in place, what should I do next?
What should I do next?
- You enquire online with us today, or request a call back
Our simple form takes a couple of minutes to fill in, this will get the ball rolling
- One of our experts will give you a call back to find out more about your situation
We have experts in bad credit mortgages, who focus solely on helping customers in difficult situations
- We do all the hard work for you
We search a comprehensive range of mortgages from across the market for the trusted lender that’s right for you
- Our expert will get back in touch
We can guide you every step of the way, and we’ll always keep you up-to-date with progress